These were created after staring into my pantry for about 30mins aided by a glass of wine. And really, I’m thinking I should try that more often because these were a huge success.Print
As is often the case, a food processor is handy, but not required.
You can simply mix everything in a bowl and then form your patties but I have kids, and heaven forbid they should be able to recognize anything they are eating! So for me, I prefer to blitz the texture out of everything and then form the patties, you do you!
- 1/2 cup raw buckwheat – cooked
- 1 cup lentils
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 egg
- Spices: 1 tsp sage, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 stock cube
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- Oil (for frying if you want to fry them to cook – otherwise you can bake in the oven!)
- Get your buckwheat cooking as per packet instructions – I cook mine in the rice cooker 1/2 cup buckwheat and 2 cups water – cooked in 20mins
- If you want to bake these in the oven, turn it on now – 180°C
- Once your buckwheat is cooked simply add all your ingredients into a food processor or bowl and mix!
- Take heaped tablespoons of mixture, roll into balls, and then flatten until about 1cm thick
- Place patties onto a lined baking tray to bake them in the oven for 30mins, flipping at the 15mins mark
- Or heat 1 cm of oil in a frying pan and fry your patties about 3 mins each side
Build your burger however you like or with what you have! We keep it simple with pickles, tomato, lettuce and mayo.