I’ve included all the ingredient substitutes in the same recipe here, remember to not add two of the ‘same’, and have some fun!
- 1/2 cup butter softened OR 1/2 cup coconut oil OR 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg OR 1 apple/pear cooked and pureed OR 1 banana
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup flour OR 1/2 cup almond flour OR 1/2 cup oats ground into flour
- 1 1/2 cups oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
Optional additions – add all, some or none:
- 1 cup chocolate chips/chopped up chocolate block
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts/cashews/roasted peanuts
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C
- Mix all the wet ingredients in a mixing bowl
- Add all the dry ingredients on top of that
- Mix everything together
- Add your extras, (chocolate, nuts…) and mix to combine those nicely
- Check your consistency – you want sticky, moist, but not dripping – see the tips below for some troubleshooting to get you to the sweet spot
- Dollop onto baking tray using a tablespoon, one very heaped tablespoon per cookie, flatten with the back of a fork or a spoon until 1cm thick
- Place into oven for 15-18mins, until getting a hint of golden, crispy tips
- Remove from oven and transfer to cooling rack
- Wait for them to cool before enjoying! Well, at least try to wait!
Dough is too dry and crumbly – While mixing, add 1 Tbsp of water at a time until you see it turn creamier.
Dough is too liquid – While mixing, add 1 Tbsp of flour or flour substitute at a time until you see it start to go pastier.