Well, it’s a sure sign the seasons change and the cold wind starts to blow; you’ll find me in the kitchen baking chocolate cake! And eating it too, hot out the oven, (way to much of it!).
This cake is moist, spongy and versatile! We enjoy it on it’s own, with a slice of butter, or slathered in icing! The kids love it as goûter after school. The piece of paper this recipe is written on is getting very ratty, (the ultimate proof of a favourite!) so it is definitely time to enshrine this one on the world wide web!
This makes two full 21x10cm bread loaf pans.
Uses 1 mixing bowl
A stand mixer is handy but in no way essential
- 3 ripe bananas
- 3 eggs
- 3 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup melted butter or canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 packet baking powder (2 1/2 tsp)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Preheat your oven to 180°C
- Prepare your pans. I use two 20cm bread pans however you could also use two 20cm cake pans, or halve the recipe if you only have one pan available – but do note, one of these will never be enough! To prepare your pan simply cut some baking paper to size and squish it into the pan – I much prefer this method for this cake over oiling the pan – However you could do the oil method, drop a generous amount of vegetable oil into your baking pan and spread evenly with paper towel. Don’t forget to get right up the sides and over the rim.
- Mash your banana’s in a large mixing bowl
- Beat in eggs and vanilla essence
- Add milk, oil, and sugar beat thoroughly to combine
- Sift in flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt
- Mix everything together very well. If using a stand mixer, set to a low speed for 2 mins
- The mixture will be quite runny
- Carefully pour the mixture into your prepared pans, evenly between the two
- Slot into the oven and set a timer for 50mins – you can check after 40mins but my center is always still quite gooey at the 40mins mark
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 5mins, then remove the cakes and allow to cook on a rack – if you can wait! One cake normally makes it to the cooling rack and the other goes straight on the chopping board!
Keywords: Chocolate Banana Cake