I’m always keen to see just how little effort I can put into dinner for the biggest amount of flavour. And let me tell you, I’ve really tried!! I’m just not a fan of spending hours in the kitchen! You can only imagine how happy I was when this easy veggie & rice bake was actually a success. Effort level is close to 0/10 and delicious meal level is a solid 7/10 – it’s not going to knock your socks off but everyone will be fed and happy, I’m calling it a win.
It is the perfect lockdown meal. It can be made with whatever bounty you were able to collect at your last supermarket shop. It’s also perfect for when you are getting near the end of your current supplies and you are scrapping the barrel with meal options, make this your go to!
You can dress it up or down as much as you like/can, this is also a good one to make a totally new meal with any left over veggies or meat.Print
Frozen vegetables work perfectly with this and cut the prep down even further. Throw everything into an oven safe dish and bake, it doesn’t get any easier.
- 3 cups rice, I used a wild rice blend
- 5 cups hot stock (2 stock cubes dissolved in boiling water)
- 4–5 cups veggies – I used a frozen veggie mix, a fresh courgette, and a roasted capsicum, diced.
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- Spice mix, 1 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp basil, 1 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp ground coriander, 1/2 tsp ginger
- Bread crumbs (optional to sprinkle in the top)
- Preheat your oven to 180°C
- Pour your rice, uncooked, into the bottom of your oven safe dish
- In a jug, pour 1 cup boiling water over your stock cubes to dissolve, pour over rice and add 4 more cups boiling water over the rice
- Prepare your fresh veggies, (peal, chop, dice etc…)
- In a separate bowl combine all your veggies, drizzle over olive oil and add spices, mix the veggies round to coat the veggies thoroughly
- Spoon veggies over the rice – also add any meat at this point too
- Sprinkle over bread crumbs
- Place in the oven to bake for 40mins
- If you have a grill function on your oven, place the grill on for a further 5 mins at the end
- How easy was that!?