I can’t quite believe how simple and easy this is to make! I’ve even got a disaster proof method for you!Print
You never quite know what the supermarket might be short on at the moment! The difference between a meal being successful or not can often come down to the condiments, mayo is just one of those things that is a success with just about anything! Don’t let the lockdown get you down if the stores run dry, try this super quick & easy mayo recipe instead!
You will need some kind of kitchen appliance to aid you here. A food processor is perfect, a blender works too, or even a stick blender. You probably could use a whisk and go crazy, but I have not tried it.
- 1 whole egg
- 1 Tbsp mustard, Dijon is good for this – I have actually made mayo by using the last remaining drop of bought mayo, and that worked too!
- 1 Tbsp vinegar, any vinegar works, it will just change the resulting taste a smidge – I use apple cider vinegar, but red, white, or rice wine are all suitable
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup oil, a neutral flavored one is best – I use canola oil
- Add the egg, vinegar, mustard, salt to your food processor, blender or a deep jug (if using a stick blender)
- Blend for 1 min
- Keep the blades turning while you very slowly add the oil, little pours at a time is best
- Once all the oil is in, continue blending for another minute, until it is smooth, thick and very creamy!
- Just taste it! Go on, you won’t believe it!
- You can store your mayo for up to a week in a sealed jar in the fridge.
- Fresh eggs are best, or at least ones that have been properly refrigerated.
- Troubleshooting: This is a seriously fool proof method but if the unthinkable should happen and your mayo splits, add another teaspoon of mustard and blend again.