- 2 tins beans ( a mix of at least two kinds is my advice; kidney beans and white beans are good. But I’ve made this with white beans and lentils too. Use what you’ve got! Drain and rinse them.)
- 1 whole onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 whole sweet potato
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tins tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper/chili flakes (leave this out for a kid-friendly nacho mix, alternatively you can remove the kids portions after cooking and then add this last.)
- 2 cubes stock (of your choice)
- to taste black pepper
- 1 packet corn chips
- Chop, slice and dice onion, garlic, carrot and sweet potato.
- Add to pot with olive oil and spices and saute until onions and what-not are soft and browning.
- Add beans, tomato paste, tinned tomato, and crumble in stock cubes, add a bit of water here for good luck.
- Bring to bubble and simmer for 30–40mins, until carrots are soft. Don’t burn the crap out of the bottom, please remember to stir occasionally, in between glasses of wine. A good trick is 3 sips of wine, stir…
These go really nicely with a drizzle of coconut yogurt, fresh tomato salsa, and/or lemony guac but maybe save these additions for a post-lockdown indulgence! Remember the good old days of buying fresh food on a whim!?