These are a great way to pass an hour or two during lockdown! Why not get the whole household involved in a crazy pretzel creation competition! And bonus, you get an Instagram worthy creation at the end of it! What’s not to love.
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 tsp dried yeast
- 1/s Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 Tbsp melted butter
- 2 cups flour
- Course sea salt
Baking soda bath
- 3 cups water
- 3 tsp baking soda
- In a mixing bowl, mix warm water and yeast and let sit for 5 mins
- Add sugar, salt and melted butter
- Add one cup of flour at a time while you mix well to combine
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead for 3 mins, until a dry dough forms
- Cover and let sit for 10mins
- While dough is resting, make your baking soda bath. Heat water and baking soda in a medium sized pot to boiling
- Start your oven warming up to 180°C
- Once dough has rested, transfer back to very lightly floured surface and divide evenly into 10 sections
- Roll each section into a long rope, until it is about 1cm thick, then twist into a pretzel shape, or any shape you like! – Try a lockdown challenge to see how creative your household can be! Or maybe who is the first person to figure out how to even make a pretzel shape, without looking at the instructions!? Wild times.
- For a pretzel shape, bring the ends of the rope together and make two twists near the top:
- Then bring the twisted end forward to the bottom of the circle:
- Then give your fine motor skills a workout by opening the ends to the sides of the circle, gentle pushing them down, and kind of fiddling around with it a little bit, pulling at the edges to make it look just right:
- Once all your gorgeous creations are finished transfer them 2 at a time to the baking soda bath, carefully lowering them down with a slotted spoon (no trips to the emergency room please!), set a timer for 30 seconds and let them cook until the timer beeps, then quickly whip them out and transfer to a paper towel to dry off a smidge, then to a baking tray, repeat with all your pretzels
- Then give each pretzel a salt shower with coarsely ground sea salt – c’mon, do your best salt bae impression!
- Pop your baking tray in the oven for 15-20mins, or until pretzels are looking ‘pretzel-y’ – a nice golden brown
- Transfer to cooling rack to cool and enjoy!
- We all know the real success is how Instagram worthy your pretzels look? #lockdownrecipes